From Duquesne University athletic department report
Duquesne got goals from Ian Larson (36′) and Jason Twum (61′) to snap a three-game losing streak with a 2-1 win over Navy on Rooney Field.
The Dukes erased an early 1-0 deficit in posting their second win of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The match was even before Navy’s Aubrey Jones was taken down in the box by Ian Larson in the 27th minute. Jones stepped up and put the ensuing penalty kick in the lower right corner.
• Larson tied it in the 36th minute when he ripped a kick off a set piece around the left side of the wall from 25 yards out. Ryan Landrydrew the foul that set up Larson’s strike. Larson’s shot, to the upper left corner just beyond the reach of Navy keeper Mac Burke, was DU’s first shot on goal of the match.
• Cody West sent a header wide of the net in the 55th minute. West’s shot came off the second of back-to-back corner kicks from Noah Mehta.
• Jason Twum produced the game-winner in the 61st minute when he took a long pass from Nigel Seidu between a pair of Midshipmen, moved to his left and put it by Burke from 22 yards out.
• It was the first career goal for Twum, a senior who was playing in his 38th career match.
• Robbie McKelvey posted four saves for the Dukes.
STAT OF THE GAME
Ian Larson’s goal (36′) ended a streak of 302 scoreless minutes for the Dukes.
The Dukes head to Philadelphia to face Temple on Tuesday, Sept. 19 at 3:00.
The Temple match is the first of three in a row on the road for the Dukes, who won’t return to Rooney Field until Sept. 30 for the Atlantic 10 opener vs. La Salle.